Skip to main content

Translate

The Master Chef

This story was told to me by a wonderful lady with as much delight on her face as was probably there when the incident initially occurred.


My mother spoiled my younger brother terribly. He had no idea how to do any sort of menial labour. He couldn't clean and he certainly couldn't cook.


I had warned my mother against giving him this kind of leeway in our current world, but she was adamant I leave her son be.

All fine and good.

It was cool.

At this point, he would have probably broken the house if he tried to clean or set it ablaze if he tried to cook.


Yes. He was THAT horrible.

It can't be that bad you say?


Well, tell that to my family when they heard him say how long it took to boil an egg.


It all started like this...

My mom was hungry and wanted a snack.

Her son decided to make a bread and egg sandwich for her.

Knowing her son didn't go near the cooker unless it was to collect food, she asked him how long it took to boil an egg.

"Umm..." he started.


He said...



Wait for it....



"Like thirty minutes?"


BOOM! Goes the dynamite!

Thirty minutes! To boil an egg.


If my mother were white, I would say she paled. She isn't.

So I will say she looked like she wanted to faint.

She staggered to me and begged me to stay in the kitchen with my brother lest he burnt down the house!

I left to monitor him, worried he might.

She looked scared.

I was amused.

My brother was ignorant, trying to boil an egg for thirty minutes.


Safe to say he's learning how to cook now!  


Comments

  1. It's not strange...
    Many young people can't cook.
    Is it not sad??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is. Cooking is a life skill.
    Thank you so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, most african parents don't allow their boys near the kitchen when they are less than 12, especially, when there is a girl in the house. I suffered the same fate though I started cooking properly when I was like 15, cos I was made fun of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should encourage both male and female children to get involved in domestic chores. Well done Fejiro!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your email and name. I promise your email will be protected and you will not receive spam mails. They are for the purpose of communication with you only.

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Beauty

I never understood my mother's strong aversion to pageantry of any sort when I was a kid. While my friends contested in my school's beauty and brain's pageant, I braved the waters of spelling bees, recitals and math competitions.  Now, let's get one thing straight, the recitals were the only things I ever won. I didn't make it past second round in the math!  However, I learnt a valuable lesson. "Not to  rely on my face". I learnt I should rely on my head instead. Now I'm older, I realize why she did it. I would have probably ended up a VERY vain person.  This didn't stop me cheering my friends though! They were awesome people! Now, I find myself tending towards the rougher, more manual things in life. I don't care for make up or even lip balm.  However, I'm far from a tomboy.  What am I trying to say? My mother taught not to rely on my face, and I'm proud of it.  

The Church Catwalk

  Picture this. You are walking towards the teens church. You hear the music pouring out of the room- praise and worship has started. Or worse, there's no music. It's totally silent- preaching is about to begin. You take a deep breath knowing what is about to come.  You lift your head high... or drive your chin into your chest (depending on your personality) and... walk in. Then it happens.  It's like everyone you pass pauses to look at you. It's worse when the place is silent save the voice of the preacher and the 'click' resulting from your shoe hitting the hard floor. It's like a million fashion critics  are observing a model as she struts down the runway in the dress her designer prepared.  You can feel the tension from both the model and the designer.  The desire not to trip, the determination to pretend as if they are not affected.  Leave the catwalk.  It's not more than ten people staring and I'm feeling that pressure in church just because...

Do the Math

  Whenever teens get together, at one point in time or the other, the conversation always drifts to how African parents are.  The stories exchanged are usually funny and everyone tries to outdo everyone else to show that their parent could be the most extreme, hilarious, restless, old-fashioned or whatever.  There was the once in a blue moon story that brought the cheerful stream of conversation to an awkward halt and the more common stories that had everyone laughing and saying 'me too!' An example of a story shared fairly often was doing math with your parent. It wasn't teaching as much as it was shouting. 'If John has fifteen apples, six are bad, he eats two and gives four to his friends, how many does he have left?' 'Four? ' you'd answer. 'IF JOHN HAS FIFTEEN APPLES, SIX ARE BAD, HE EATS TWO AND GIVES FOUR TO HIS FRIENDS, HOW MANY DOES HE HAVE LEFT?' 'Two?' you'd ask in a smaller voice. 'IF JOHN HAS...' At this point in te...